Monday, June 22, 2015

When you think you have it all...

I know a story of a young lady who died of cancer. A true story. She was my age when she was first diagnosed with cancer, which was around this time last year. Like any other cancer patient, she was devastated. Afraid. Crushed. So many questions went through her head. A myriad of emotions rushed through her veins. Despite all the physical and emotional torture she was put through, she managed to pull through. She underwent a series of diagnostic tests, 2 surgeries, 12 weeks of chemotherapy and 3 weeks of radiotherapy within 6 months. When I heard about the story of this brave girl, she was recovering from her illness. She had announced it on Facebook, the whole ordeal.

Just a couple of days back, news came that she had passed away. I don't know her personally, she was just a girl in the story I heard. But I wanted to get to know her, so I went on her Fb page, scanned through her posts and pictures. She looked sweet, and from what I gathered, she seemed opinionated and sophisticated. I also realized that she was the girlfriend of my ex-classmate. This suddenly seemed so much more real. The gf of my friend just died of cancer. This fatal disease took her life in exactly 1 year. I don't know which type it was, but it must have been an aggressive one. I was trying to put myself in her shoes. In his shoes. In her parents' shoes. I wanted to view this in every possible perspective. Because, this could be ME. This could be YOU. Or anyone you LOVE.

Life could take turns in any direction. At any time. And we can never be ready for it.

Honestly, I don't think many people these days would make it till old age. You hear news of planes going missing, terrorist attacks, natural disasters. On top of the regular health issues and motor vehicle accidents that normally grab lives, weird things are happening. Some say the world is coming to an end. I don't think much about it, but I suppose deep down, I believe it is.

Life is so precious and fragile.

Appreciate every moment and treasure every relationship. You never know which day is your last.

No comments:

Post a Comment